inactive field after setting htmlText

Keith Martin keith at vortex.co.uk
Wed Sep 10 08:21:01 EDT 2003

First of all, I apologise for asking a question which relates to Rev
1.1.1. I'm writing a tutorial and for certain reasons it has to work
in that version. (Although I will of course be suggesting version 2.x
at the appropriate moments!)

Right, I've set the htmlText of a field to the contents of a
variable, originally read from a file from disk.

When this is done the field acts partially disabled. The scroll
button, borders and even text shows as grey/disabled, although I can
force scrolling to happen by clicking and drag-selecting far enough.

This state only changes when I switch to the Pointer tool and resize
or nudge the field.

I don't get this behaviour if I set the text of the field, only if I
set the htmlText of the field.

Any ideas? Is there a solution? What's the cleanest workaround that I
could use for a tutorial? Is there a neat way to side-step this
problem entirely?

      Keith Martin   Technical Editor, MacUser magazine
      MacUser Help   mailto:help at macuser.co.uk
          personal > mailto:keith at vortex.co.uk
               Web   http://www.vortex.co.uk
      direct (work)  +44 (0)20 7907 6360