Deep Space

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Tue Sep 9 17:38:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 9, 2003, at 21:33 Australia/Brisbane, Wouter
<wouter.abraham at pi.be> wrote:

WA

> But thank to this I discovered a difference in the alias folders.
> Try for yourself:
> Type in the msg box :
> set the directory to "/etc";put the directories
> You get the directories in which you see "etc" as a directory.
> After this use "open" in the file menu and you will see that
> the etc folder is in fact an aliased folder.
> Make an aliased folder yourself and do:
> set the directory to "/wherever_your_aliased_folder_is";put the
> detailed files
>  you see the aliased folder is actually a file with a creator and type
> code of MACSfdrp.
> If you do:
>  set the directory to "/wherever_your_aliased_folder_is";put the
> folders
> you won't see a directory called as your aliased folder name.
> if you do:
> set the directory to "/";put the detailed directories
> the etc "aliased" folder's creator an file type is ????????
> This means that if if the directory walker stumbles on
> an aliased folder from the first kind pointing to its parentdirectory
> you get the loop which makes the recursinglevel go to its limit.

No you don't. You are being fooled by doing this in the message box.
I have no alias to /etc within /etc but if I did then it would not
matter. What is happening to you is as follows:
You set the directory to /etc -- success
You set the directory to /etc/etc -- fails, and the directory remains
set to /etc, but you do not see this in the message box
You list the files and lo! you appear to have circularity because you
have listed /etc again.

If you run my most recent actual code (including Dar's permissions fix)
on your /etc you will see that it works correctly, listing the alias as
a file and not cycling. No additional special cases need to be checked
for aliases. See also my response to Robert Brenstein, who recognised
that this error should not occur.

hope this clarifies it.

regards
David