Deep Space (9?)

Wouter wouter.abraham at pi.be
Tue Sep 9 04:13:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 9, 2003, at 04:00 Europe/Brussels,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 11:02:03 +1000
> From: David Vaughan <dvk at dvkconsult.com.au>
> Subject: Re: Deep Space
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>

> On Tuesday, Sep 9, 2003, at 07:20 Australia/Brisbane, Wouter
> <wouter.abraham at pi.be> wrote:
>>
>> Correction:
>> In this case it is the compiled_alias_folder at
>> //etc/X11/xkb/compiled/
>> And you still have the honor.
>
> No, I have no such folder,  not having compiled X11.
>
> I'll keep looking.
>
> regards
> David

Forgive me my  incompleteness. This directory comes from
a X11 installation on my tibook
< http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/ >
But thank to this I discovered a difference in the alias folders.
Try for yourself:
Type in the msg box :
set the directory to "/etc";put the directories
You get the directories in which you see "etc" as a directory.
After this use "open" in the file menu and you will see that
the etc folder is in fact an aliased folder.
Make an aliased folder yourself and do:
set the directory to "/wherever_your_aliased_folder_is";put the
detailed files
  you see the aliased folder is actually a file with a creator and type
code of MACSfdrp.
If you do:
  set the directory to "/wherever_your_aliased_folder_is";put the folders
you won't see a directory called as your aliased folder name.
if you do:
set the directory to "/";put the detailed directories
the etc "aliased" folder's creator an file type is ????????
This means that if if the directory walker stumbles on
an aliased folder from the first kind pointing to its parentdirectory
you get the loop which makes the recursinglevel go to its limit.
The problem is to recognize the special aliases.
I made an incomplete solution to circumvent this problem and
stumbled into yet another problem, but I have to investigate
this a bit further before releasing it on the list.

Excuse me for this appletalk but may be something
similar can be found on the other platforms.

Greetings,
WA