modal dialogs and Quit problem

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Mon Sep 8 20:15:01 EDT 2003

Thierry,

The problem seems to be centered in the OSX version of Rev. When I
create an OSX distribution from WindowsXP (using 2.0.1), the app -can-
be quit; shutDownRequest is called every time (whether interrupting a
modal dialog or not).

However, this nonsense of Rev permitting a modal dialog to be
interrupted is, well, I can't use such a word on this list. There is no
excuse for this kind of app behavior except that it's a very bad bug
or, heaven forbid!, a design choice. A modal dialog is either modal in
it's environment (the app) or it isn't. And -that- is a cross-platform
problem; the modal dialog can also be interrupted in WinXP. Even there,
it's a HIG faux pas.

I will have to backup my Mac system, re-initialize the drive, and
reinstall Rev in order to see if the force-quit problem is a glitch in
my system or something that's part of the OSX Rev 2.x release.

Regards,
Barry