No Shell on OS X?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Sat Sep 6 22:20:00 EDT 2003

On Saturday, September 6, 2003, at 05:04  PM, Brian K. Maher wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Thanks.  That was it.  I am a newbie at Revolution and misread the
> documentation for the shell function (it shows just using shell(...)
> and also states that the result (combination of stdout & stderr) are
> placed into the result variable).  Based on this I expected to be able
> to simply say shell(...) followed by some code that checked the result
> variable.

The example code is not always complete, often it's just code snippets.

In Rev 2.1 the shell function in the transcript dictionary says "the
result" is set to the command's exit code, which is probably going to
be 0 or 1, not the actual stdout of the command.

But I understand what you mean about learning revolution: sometimes you
have to check "it", sometimes check "the result" and sometimes pass
variable to get the value into, and sometimes get a value back directly
:-)

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com