rev-based installer

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 5 13:59:00 EDT 2003

Stephen Messimer wrote:

> Basically, I want to be able to place a stack in the Rev plug-ins
> folder and two stacks in the Rev program folder. I've looked at
> commercial installers and they all seem pretty expensive, costs being
> based on the number of installs projected for a product. That is pretty
> much out of the question for me at this point.

Only Mac installer vendors punish you like that (part of the "Mac tax", the
hidden cost of choosing a more secure OS).

Windows installer products, even those from vendors who also sell Mac
installers, pretty much all just have a one-time cost without consideration
for the number of products you ship.

But in your case using even InstallerVise, nice as it is, seems overkill.
Using binfile to tuck your stack files into custom props is simple and
smaller, since you already have the Rev engine running, and you can get the
paths to the locations you need in Transcript.

You could make the deliverable even smaller by run your embedded stackfile
data through the compress function.  I've had stack files reduced by at
least half, and sometimes to one-sixth of the original size.  RevNet uses
compressed stacks for everything except the GoRevNet plugin that accesses
them.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation