Externals

Tim Malloroy tmalloroy at cox.net
Thu Sep 4 19:54:01 EDT 2003

Thanks Dar, that is exactly the start I needed. I will be creating an
external for OS X, Linux, and Windows. When finished, I plan to submit it as
a user contribution for all to use.

Tim Malloroy

--__--__--

Message: 14
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:58:00 -0600
Subject: Re: Externals
From: Dar Scott <dsc at swcp.com>
To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com

On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 06:40 AM, Tim Malloroy wrote:

> I can't seem to find any information on writing externals. I want to
> adapt
> SQLite for use in Revolution 2.1. Can anyone give me pointers or hints
> on
> where to start?

Windows or Linux?  Or are you adapting SQLite for OS X?

Some place I have notes on struggling through my first one on Windows
using Visual C/C++, but from memory...  Start with the externals folder
that came with the earlier versions.  I think it can be downloaded.
That should include some source files, a DLL definition file, a readme
and a stack.  I don't remember if it had a make file.  Wrap your
project around that and try it.  Copy the DLL to the same folder as the
Revolution executable.  Open the stack.  If you change the DLL, close &
purge the stack and reopen it.  If you make your own external, remember
to set the externals in the stack and reopen it.

Then comes the hard part.  Look at the examples for callback testing
and variable access.  Look at what they call.  Look at the basic setup
for adding commands and functions.  Try that.  You might want to add
comments and make some notes.  Much of this you can infer from the
code; the rest may need testing or conservative usage.

Dar Scott