undo broken in script editor

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Wed Sep 3 22:55:00 EDT 2003

> Has the lame (and broken) function of the undo command in the script
> editor been reported as a bug?
>
> By my memory, it did not work in 2.0 nor now in 2.1.  Appears to be only
> one action deep (pretty minimal by today's standards, even vi has
> multi-level), there doesn't seem to be a re-do, and when you delete a
> selection, the undo doesn't work at all.
>
> I don't know if this is just low on the priority list or maybe other
> people are using a different editor.  I searched bugzilla and couldn't
> find an entry which is surprising.
>
> I did see entries about the colorizing working unevenly.

Hi Steve

The undo menu just uses the undo command (which you can about read in the
docs). It's very limited. Using it twice is the same as redo. It get's reset
whenever anything is done via script and seeing as there's heaps of stuff
scripted in the script editor field it hardly ever works.

It's not a bug seeing as it's documented properly but it's a reasonable
feature request. It'd probably be reasonably easy to maintain undo and redo
stacks in the background during scripting. Perhaps apply and revert clear
them? The simplest method (a bit of a memory hog) would be to copy the whole
script into an array element representing the change on closeField. Then
maintain a pointer to the key in the array that represents the current
script. When you undo the pointer is moved back, therefore creating a redo
stack. When you make a change the redo stack is deleted.

Come to think of it it's probably only about 10 minutes work ;-)

Cheers

Monte