OS X standalones: 2 questions

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Wed Sep 3 18:01:00 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 04:39  PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> What's inside the .app?

By "4.29 MB = executable, remainder is app package" I meant that the
executable file, inside the app bundle, is 4.29 MB in actual size. The
remainder of the app bundle takes approx 200KB which is not
unreasonable.

Sizes in K bytes:
# du -k test.app
4396    test.app/Contents/MacOS
152     test.app/Contents/Resources
4560    test.app/Contents
4560    test.app

Sizes in bytes:
test.app/Contents:
-rw-r-----  1 alex  staff  1369 Sep  3 16:46 Info.plist
drwxr-x---  3 alex  staff   102 Sep  3 16:41 MacOS
-rw-r-----  1 alex  staff     8 Sep  3 16:46 PkgInfo
drwxr-x---  5 alex  staff   170 Sep  3 16:41 Resources
-rw-r-----  1 alex  staff   280 Sep  3 16:46 pbdevelopment.plist

test.app/Contents/MacOS:
-rw-r-----  1 alex  staff  4498655 Sep  3 16:46 Revolution

test.app/Contents/Resources:
-rw-r-----  1 alex  staff  58576 Sep  3 16:46 Revolution.icns
-rw-r-----  1 alex  staff  34431 Sep  3 16:46 Revolution.rsrc
-rw-r-----  1 alex  staff  53427 Sep  3 16:46 RevolutionDoc.icns

> A lot of apps look really huge in OS X (Calculator was about 8k in
> Classic,
> and is 1MB in OS X), in large part because he migration away from the
> resource fork requires the .app folder to be filled with lots of tiny
> files,
> and with file allocation being what it is a file with 300 bytes will
> occupy
> at least 4k on a modest drive, more on larger drives.

I understand, and I always expect OS X apps to be larger, but there are
only a dozen files in this app bundle - which doesn't explain the 2 MB+
difference.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com