CGI and find

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Wed Sep 3 17:36:01 EDT 2003

Le mer 03/09/2003 à 19:27, J. Landman Gay a écrit :
> On 9/2/03 11:36 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
> This isn't to say that storing data in stacks is always a great idea.
> For larger data sets the engine breaks down and you need a real
> database. But for smaller data sets -- under 1000-2000 cards or so -- I
> have found stack-based storage to be easier to set up, easier to
> maintain, easier to script, quick to search and navigate, and supported
> by a large number of native commands in the language. I think it is an
> overlooked solution. I don't feel the need to put my little personal
> address book into an SQL database.

Jacque,

About SQL : If you really try it, you will see that it's not a language
but just a subset of xtalk-like commands dedicated to manage big
collections of datas. Before using Postgresql as backend of my web
driven apps, i had to write lots and lots of code to manage in
Metatalk/Transcript what SQL does natively (searches, inserts, updates,
deletes). An appp using 2.9 Mo of scripting to handle a flat-files based
database can be replaced by a 500 Ko one just by using SQL calls instead
of offset searches, read, writes... As in Rev/MC, the only difficulty in
using PostgreSQL (or, at least, MySQL-Max 4.xx, the 3.23 issue is not
really a sure db system) is to think what and how to code. I'm sure you
would be really happy in using it.

Thanks a lot for sharing with us your last "find cgi" related post about
your "mark cards by finding..." proposal. Elegant, usefull, impressive.
:-)

Kind Regards, Pierre