shell command specifics?

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 12:17:00 EDT 2003

At 2:27 pm -0600 2/9/03, Alex Rice wrote:
>On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 02:12  PM, Dar Scott wrote:
>>
>>  cp?
>>
>>  (No resource fork, I would guess.)
>
>Useful factoid: OS X has a command line app "ditto" which is kind of
>like cp but preserves resource fork data.

Warning!

I heard this once, and eagerly tried ditto to copy a *large* bunch of
files without first checking the man pages. Seeing the files had been
copied, I deleted the originals. Minutes later, I discovered the
copies were all missing their resource forks.

Then I found out you need to use the -rsrcFork option with the ditto
command to preserve the resource forks.

Wiser but poorer for the experience.

Cheers
Dave