command-line/CGI Revolution engine questions

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Tue Sep 2 10:37:01 EDT 2003

Alex Rice wrote:

>> # export DISPLAY=":0.0"
>>
> Steve, thanks - I know about the DISPLAY variable and it's function on
> X11. OS X does not include X11,  it uses it's own display and graphics
> system. X Windows is available as a separate download however 99% of OS
> X users probably don't even know it exists and have no need for it.

Sorry, I keep forgetting who on this list has a Linux background and who
doesn't. I was wondering about the Mac having X; too lazy to go
downstairs to where the kids have the Mac and check.  Anyway, I saw the
shell commands at the front of the file, and since I knew "mc" wasn't
installed on Linux, I never tried executing a .rev file.  I just assumed
you had to load it with the IDE or else make a distribution file.

I still don't like the binary .rev file format. I could probably get
used to it if RR would document the format, but they refuse.  I asked.

-Steve