command-line/CGI Revolution engine questions

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Sep 2 00:40:01 EDT 2003

On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 10:50  PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> How is it harder than Perl?

Using Rev for shell scripting seems kind of like a mismatch so far. I
guess I just got off to a rough start.

I worked with it an hour or two today when I could have just done it in
Perl and been done in a few minutes. Admittedly I was in a hurry and it
wasn't a good setting for the experimentation required.

Also it worries me that command-line and CGI usage of Rev seems to be
undocumented. People on the list keep saying stuff like "how do you get
XYZ to work in the command-line/cgi engine". Pierre just said some
graphical related stuff doesn't work but I don't understand why not, or
what wouldn't be expected to work.

Perl is difficult in it's own ways. But Perl is intended for Unix shell
scripting and it has a lot of idioms that make it really useful for
that kind of thing. And easy, after you learn it's bizarre syntax.

> Can you not build upon the hello world you did?

No I could...

Speaking of that script, do you know why it's output is wrapped with
the lines "external startup", "external exit"?

   #!/usr/local/bin/mc
   on startup
     put "hello world"
   end startup

   ./test.sh
   external startup
   hello world
   external exit

Those messages are being written to STDERR. It seems to be debugging
info. I can get rid of them by IO redirection, but that's a pain
because I didn't expect to see those messages in the first place:

   ./test.sh 2> /dev/null
   hello world

The only mention of "external startup", "external exit" in the list
archives is another question:

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2003-August/020333.html

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com