Encryption inconsistency, not a "bug"

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Sep 1 23:03:00 EDT 2003

>>> This is a rather undocumented(?) feature.
>>
>> Well, not exactly undocumented:
>>
>> "If the password is set, the stack¹s scripts cannot be modified, its
>> password cannot be changed, and objects cannot be copied."

> However, objects may be cloned. Why cloning doesn't have the same
> restriction as a "copy", I haven't a clue.

I'll hazard this guess: because password protecting a stack is intended to
protect the contents of stack from being extracted from the stack.  Since
cloning an object effectively duplicates an object and this action does
nothing to extract content from the stack, it is not prevented.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director

Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design