command-line/CGI Revolution engine questions

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Sep 1 14:24:01 EDT 2003

On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 11:56 AM, Alex Rice wrote:

> This, however, does work ok:
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/mc
> on startup
>   put "hello world"
>   put linefeed
> end startup
>
> Now I understand why the previous poster (I'm bad with names) was
> doing like this
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/mc
> start using stack "some.rev"

That is the direction I would explore.

I have noticed that 'send' does work.  The engine does not quit until
there is no handler running and there are no messages in pending
messages.  This could be handy for those things that cannot be done in
startup.  And for allowing library messages to execute.

I would expect 'open' to have trouble, but I have not run the
experiment.  Also on my list of experiments is 'start using' a stack
with an external.

The above example is outside a script.  Does that really work?

I think Bill Vlahos talked many months ago about the problems with
using a Revolution stack as a deamon; perhaps this would mitigate those
problems.

> 3) The 2.1 command-line/CGI engines are not available?

Perhaps these are under policy review.  There was also a question
earlier about unix engines which I assume double as command-line/CGI
engines.  I hope RunRev does not become too concerned about these.

Dar Scott