repeat for..

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Fri Oct 31 17:42:54 EST 2003

  A bug?

I'm working with quite long lists of numbers (5000+ lines with a number
of items). This tends to be slow, so I'm trying to use 'repeat for'
instead of 'repeat with', but I seem to be running up against some kind
of limit.

This works:

function testLoop pData
   repeat with n = 1 to the number of lines in pData
     put item 1 of line n of pData + 100 into item 8 of line n of pData
   end repeat
  return pData
end testLoop

This appears to work, but only for the first  2408 lines:

function testLoop pData
   put 0 into n
   repeat for each line L in pData
     add 1 to n
     put item 1 of L + 100 into item 8 of line n of pData
   end repeat
   return pData
end testLoop

All the lines of pData after line 2408 are unchanged.
Is this a known limit, or am I doing something wrong?

TIA,

Mark Smith