OT: Convert AIF to MP3

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Oct 28 01:34:08 EST 2003

Platform: Mac OS X, Panther:

We used to use Media Cleaner to convert *.aif files to *.mp3 files.
Cleaner broke on OS X and we switched to using Applescript to drive
iTunes to do the same job, with iTunes already up and running, MP3
encoder selected with the conversion settings we needed. The
appleScripts were driven from inside a Rev stack that managed this one
among a series of production operations. Now, under Panther, the
appleScript and the latest version of iTunes is also broken...it used
to be simple: pass a file path to a variable and tell iTunes to convert
that file.  Now, nothing happens.

I sat with our sound man today and watched him try to debug the script
using examples from some iTunes appleScript site... wow, talk about
convoluted! I'm really spoiled by xTalk... using iTunes for this seems
like using a tablesaw to sharpen a tooth pick... a small knife is
really all that is needed.

  So, looking for "an easier way..." Can anyone help?

Thanks

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery