connection disruption / revGoURL problems

Dave davethebrv at crystalpiersw.com
Fri Oct 24 22:40:39 EDT 2003

Hey,

I have several stacks that I have distributed as standalones to beta
testers. One of my testers is reporting that his dial up connection is
becoming disrupted when he uses the standalone applications. The apps were
created with Rev 1.1.1, and he is running Windows ME. One of them uses the
internet library, the other doesn't do anything net related, but BOTH screw
up his connection consistently.

According to his reports, after he opens the standalones and uses them for a
while, all of a sudden his internet apps stop working. Downloads become hung
stalled, and every attempt to access the internet fails. Even after he quits
the standalone, they do not work. He has to disconnect and reconnect fix the
problem. This has NEVER happened to him in the past until he used my
standalones. Here are some errors that were reported to him by Outlook
Express and IE:

The host 'mail.sysmatrix.net' could not be found. Please verify that you
have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'kavs email', Server:
'mail.sysmatrix.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket
Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
[Outlook Express]

and...

Cannot find server or DNS Error
[Internet Explorer]

It isn't 100% reproducible apparently, but almost (3 out of 4 times he uses
one of my stacks).

What is the deal?? Is this a known problem? I searched the archives but
couldn't find anything on it. Has it been fixed perhaps in more recent
versions?

Also, probably a related phenominon, revGoURL doesn't work reliably either
for him. Sometimes it does nothing, and sometimes it opens IE with a blank
URL. Sometimes it works. What gives?

Thanks in advance,
Dave