How to use Rev with Media Player - anyone got a guide?

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Oct 27 00:57:30 EST 2003

Hi again,

First, I want to thank you for your replies. I'm sure there are others,
active or lurking, that can benefit. Please forgive cheeky comments, just
humor my less-than-bright understanding.

> Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:47:07 +0100
> From: Klaus Major <klaus at major-k.de>
> Subject: Re: How to use Rev with Media Player - anyone got a guide?

>>> I doubt ;-)
>> ----------
SNIP
>> I understand codecs when they come into
>> play, but I don't understand why a file type created by QT can't be
>> played
>> by any other player on any other machine which can recognize it.
>
> It can, see below...
----------
Well, see, that's confusing poor ole Ken here. You said you doubt before,
then you say it can. Tsk, tsk, what to believe ;-)
----------
>> Does MP come with a 'Pro' version like QT Pro which will allow
>> conversions?
>
> Sorry, no idea...
>
> I do all of the multimedia stuff/editing on my mac :-)
----------
Yep, me too. Having problems, though. I'm at my wit's end with a PNG image
that just won't display properly. Absolutely stumped with it...nuthin' but
dead ends.
----------
>> How do we create files that play on WMP?
>
> You can, of course, create files with QT that are playable on win...
> (You will just have to avoid QT specific codecs...)
----------
Yes, that's what I meant before. I'm just having a bit of a tough time with
it.
----------
> Like:
>
> Audio:
> AIFF with NO compression...*
> WAV with NO compression...*
> AU with µlaw 2.1 compression...*
> (Important: 44.1, 22.05 or 11.025 khz sample-rate, 8 or 16 bit
> sample-depth)
>
> Video:
> AVI compression: Cinepak (low quality, but compatible)*
> DivX (if you installed the macversion of DivX)
>
> MPG (only playback supported QT)*
----------
AFAIK, you can create a MPEG4 sound and/or video file with QT, but if a
sound MP4, I think it uses a movie sound track device, which would bring in
the QT-spec codecs. Not sure, though. I have a couple I made with QT...I'll
try a playback with MediaPlayer.
----------
> * Will also work on *NIX!
----------
Cool..I didn't know that. Thanks again.
----------
> Chances are very good (NO guarantees!) that these formats can be played
> on
> win WITHOUT QT...
----------
Yep, see, that's what I thought, too. I have a little recorder I made in
Rev. Let me sing into Rev to create a MP4 and send it as voicemail to a
friend with Windows...see what happens
>> And further, how do we ensure that
>> the user won't have to go to extraordinary lengths, i.e., outside of
>> using a
>> reasonably recent OS, to display media content?
>
> I would be a rich man, if i could answer this question ;-)
In that case, I hope you can. My van is too slow, you could buy me a new
Lamborghini   ;->