revSpeak & Windows

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sat Oct 25 15:07:25 EDT 2003

Hi Chipp and other interested parties,

> Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 02:52:13 -0500
> From: "Chipp Walters" <chipp at chipp.com>
> Subject: RE: revSpeak & Windows

> Hi Judy,
>
> The Windows version of revSpeak doesn't work with the lates SAPI from MS.
> Most all patched XP systems already have the latest SAPI installed, so until
> RR updates the revSpeak library, it won't play correctly.
-----------
I'm really glad Judy asked about this.

Almost all of my software uses TTS for auditory feedback. Never had a
problem on the Macs (going way back), but problems a-plenty on Win
boxes...which apparently still continues. Heck, you can't even get more than
2 voices AFAIK, whereas a Mac comes with, what, 25? Just one of the many
reasons I believe Macs are still far superior machines for sound.

Awhile back, I seem to remember something about bundling QT with Rev apps.
Is that possible? Is there a way to get a Rev app to auto-install QT in
Windows?

Otherwise, does Media Player offer a way to record sound?

If not, then how about this:

1) On a Mac: Build a little interface that uses Rev's revSpeak and record
sound functions to build a library of computer generated speech from all the
text in my project that would ordinarily use TTS directly. It should be able
to automate going through all the text and record everything (there are
about 800 sets of words and phrases I want to use at present), convert as
necessary, and place them in a file folder,

2) Use the QT call  (I forgetwhat it is) to check for QT, and if not, use MP
to play the sounds as words and phrases.

3) The problem is editing. If you can't record the feedback voice for the
edited text, then it must be done externally...which is more bad news.

I think this is a heavy workaround, but until the Win World decides on some
decent set of voices and standards for TTS within Windows, it may be the
only possibility.

What do you all think?

I've been told that distribution builds for Win and Mac OS/OSX should be
identical as much as possible, but in this case, I don't see that as valid.
I find no good reason not to use TTS directly on the Mac platform, that's
why it's there...

...but I will accept criticism on the above.

TIA,
Ken N.