How to use Rev with Media Player - anyone got a guide?

Stephen King st.king42 at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 25 09:39:11 EDT 2003

Dear All,

I think I am not alone in being a bit confused about what exactly one can
and can't do with players in Rev when QT is not installed.

Like some other posts recently, I also have to produce an app for windows
machines that do not have access to QT (in my case a dedicated swimming club
machine, fixed with no internet access so QT cannot be installed at all). I
also backup the recent comments about teachers not being willing/able to
install QT in schools - my wife is a teacher and they simply use their
machines as the come and never add things like QT to them.

So, I guess my question is  - can someone possibly give a summary of what
can be done and what is displayed when using play or player in windows,
without QT. As far as I can tell, there is no progress bar possible - is it
possible to make one? Sound level seems to be adjustable from system level
to zero, but can it be raised? Pause buttons, speaker buttons etc don't seem
to appear?

This could well be down to my usage, but I can't find much in the on-line
docs that help in the differentiation between driving media player and QT.

A one place summary would be really useful I think. (an idea for a
revjournal article perhaps?)

Hope someone can help.
Best regards
Steve King

PS - -I also confirm Rev will not play speech on Windows, though in a
private post I was told it was to be fixed soon, this was many months ago.
Though I think Rev is a fantastic product and easier and quicker to use than
most (it gets better the more I learn and I will stick with it)- I also
think it has a number of things to improve on the windows front before it
will be a big player outside the Mac world. - just my view.