cross-stack globals, also, file inclusion

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Oct 22 22:35:21 EDT 2003

>Yeah- sure. There are lots of ways to simulate a global constant.
>See my getConst() accessor function earlier in this thread.
>
>But there is a difference between a true constant and simulating a
>constant because you are trusting that you and any other programmer
>that touches the script will never, ever write that to variable in
>their script.
>
>The only reason I brought this up is because I frequently think -
>hey we've got globals, constants, so why not global constants?

Alex, et al:

There is also a difference between global constants and the ability
of the engine to include arbitrary lines of text inline within a
handler a la traditional "include file" functionality.

What I'm looking for is the ability to:

	include file myConstantList.txt

and have all 260+ constants in myConstantList.txt known to the
handler or script wherein the include command resides AND to have the
handler/script recognize & incorporate any changes in
myConstantList.txt at runtime.

--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company