Playing large sound files

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 05:32:38 EDT 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:57:47 -0400,  Thomas J McGrath III
<3mcgrath at adelphia.net> wrote:

>Do all sounds need to have a controller in order to play?
>Is the controller just a Quicktime controller?
>Would the end user then need to have quicktime installed? - I hope not.
>
>Why did they not state this in the built in documents? - I played with
>AIFF, MP3 and MP4s for hours.
>
>If I use a WAV file can I then avoid a cross platform and quicktime
>issue?

I'm using WAV files without QT and they work fine using 'play
audioclip' and 'stop playing' - but I don't know what huge files
would be like. I reluctantly gave up using QT because I couldn't
impose QT installation on my Windows users (hard-pressed teachers
with a low level of technical expertise on average). QT is however
superior in many respects - for example you can play more than one
sound simultaneously, whereas using audioclips AFAIK you can only
play one at a time, so I had to fake it by recording the various
combinations of sounds that I need (this is easy for me because
they're just little sound effects).

HTH

Graham