Several newbie questions & a documentation request

Ian Wood ian at azurevision.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 19:04:55 EDT 2003

Thanks for the replies, but I got rid of most of the weird behaviour by
making a new stack and copying across all the necessary buttons and
fields.  As this was my first stack after the Hello World there were a
lot of half-existing groups and so on that hadn't been deleted properly.

On Saturday, October 18, 2003, at 06:34  pm, Ken Ray wrote:

>> 1) I am running an AppleScript to open an image sequence in QT Pro.
>> The applescript is stored in a field, a replace is done on the
>> variables and the "do theScript as AppleScript".  So far, so good.
>> Except that Classic launches as the AppleScript tries to
>> launch the OS
>> 9 version of QT.  Both from Script Editor and as a compiled
>> script the
>> script correctly launches QT in OS X.  Any ideas?
>
> Do you have an OS X version of QT Pro? If so, what's its path?

This is now working fine, especially after I deleted the first "/" from
the file path before replacing with ":" for the AppleScript.

>> 2) The app has three option menu buttons to set video size,
>> frame rate
>> and pan direction (l/r).  Is it just something in my coding
>> (I tried to
>> convert the info in the menu manager tutorial to the button) or are
>> these always so slow to work?  On a PB 1GHz and a P4 1.5GHz
>> it can take
>> up to 15 seconds for each menu button to become active!
>
> That's ridiculously slow... something else must be going on. Rev is
> really fast at this kind of stuff. When you say "become active", do you
> mean that you initially have them in a disabled state and then it takes
> the time to re-enable them? Can you please clarify?

As mentioned above, this seems to have been a problem with a really
messy stack.

>> 3)  The 'New Developers' documentation needs a section on the
>> differences between AppleScript and Transcript, if this has
>> not already
>> been added in 2.1!  All the time wasted until I discovered
>> that 'put 20
>> into variable' was the correct grammar, not 'set variable to 20' got
>> irritating, especially as properties DO work in the 'set to' grammar.
>
> Agreed.

The 'recipes' in 2.1 help with this as you get more examples of how the
grammar works than in the tutorials, but a list of specific differences
would be nice.  I'll keep notes of the differences I come across and
post it to the list and to the feature request address.

>> 4) I can't see from the website, do the new video
>> capabilities of Rev 2
>> include making video from image sequences?
>
> Sorry, can't help you there (video's not my strong suit).
>
>> 5) Is it possible to export a snapsho directly to file?  I am
>> currently
>> importing the snapshot and then exporting it to JPEG, but of course
>> this results in a huge amount of flicker and general
>> nastiness as I am
>> generating up to 1500 snapshots in a row.
>
> Sure, the "export snapshot" command allows you to do this, but this was
> introduced in Rev 2.1, so you'd have to upgrade to get this feature.

For now I've downloaded the 30-day trial to test this out, it seems no
faster but is much 'prettier' as you miss out on all the flicker.

Ian Wood
Panoramic photography, from web to billboard, sunrise to moonrise
http://www.azurevision.co.uk