Default path in answer file

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Oct 17 12:05:14 EDT 2003

I wrote:

>I've set up a default path for an answer file command (on Windows XP) and
>RunRev seems to be ignoring the path specification. In a desperate attempt
>to understand what's happening, I executed this script:
>
>     answer "about to request file from"&&scgTheFolder&"/"
>     answer file scgFileSelectText with scgTheFolder&"/" with filter "Data
> Files,*.scs;*.scp"
>
>The path in scgTheFolder is of the form C:/Program Files/Revolution 2.1/Data
>
>but when the open dialog is shown, it has defaulted to a different place
>on the 'C' drive (probably the last place from which RR read a file).
>
>What did I do wrong?

Since I wrote this, Ken Ray has pointed out (thanks, Ken) that if the
folder doesn't exist, then answer file defaults to the last folder you used
with a file dialog box, which is the same action that occurs when no
defaultPath is specified. However, I absolutely know the folder does exist,
and indeed I take steps to make sure it's there by creating it before the
answer file is executed.

I think I've found a bug, since this acts as if there was no defaultPath:

   answer file "Get a File" with scgTheTestFolder&"/"

whereas this works:

   put scgTheTestFolder&"/" into temp
   answer file "Get a File" with temp

So it looks like a quirk in the engine.