must restart in OS X after install ?? - re: Monks

Brian Thomas runrev at rivertext.com
Fri Oct 17 15:49:24 EDT 2003

My Revolution CD, If Monks had Macs, is being beta tested now -- and
several people on the list are testing it.

By far the most reported bug is that under Mac OS 10.2 the program
doesn't launch right after an install . Everyone has got it to launch
-- some people after restarting the computer. Or some as in this
example -- after doing other things. Once it works, it works. I was
aware of this kind of issues and kept a "virgin" machine to test the
beta version on, but...

What is somewhat unique about If Monks is that it is not launched by
clicking on the standalone, but on a document linked to that
standalone. This is our weakest link only on OS X. [The reason that
If Monks is launched in such an unusual fashion is that it contains 2
application that can run simultaneously, and we didn't want to make
it 3 applications]

So I guess that what is happening is that OS X is not recognizing the
creator code link we use soon enough for us:

Here is a comment from one of the testers:

1) After doing the install on os x (10.2.8) I got a dialog saying that no
application was selected to open the "If Monks Had Macs" document. I
played around with Sophie and the next time I tried double clicking the
IMHM document the app opened without problems.

Sophie is the other application included with If Monks.

------------

****** Does anybody know why OS X doesn't recognize creator codes
right away. Or if there is something we can do to speed up the
recognition? ********

****** Do you think it is outrageous to ask OSX users to restart
their computers after an install:? ***

I'm using InstallerMaker to create to make the installers.

Thanks for reading this long request. But it isn't long compared to
how long this software has been in development!!

--
Brian