Installing REV in Linux - how?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 15:05:59 EDT 2003

--- Barry Levine <themacguy at macosx.com> wrote:
> I DL'd the v2.0.3 Rev but the .tgz file (when I
> double-click it to open
> it in KDE) appears to be missing much of what needs
> to be there; the
> "engines" folder is empty, for example. I'm running
> YDL (Yellow Dog
> Linux) on my PowerBook.
>
> Taking into account I'm a Mac guy (obvious by my
> eMail) who expects a
> "drag & drop" installation, what am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Barry
>
> PS - If you think this is too off-topic, you may
> eMail me directly.

Hmm, and there I thought support for LinuxPPC was
dropped after MetaCard 2.4.1 ? So the last one you can
run on YDL should be Revolution 1.1.1 IIRC.
The absence of engines is no big deal, as by default
it only needs the engine for that platform -- and
that's the one you're running Revolution with anyway,
so it can simply make a quick copy when building a
distribution.
When compiling for other platforms (you do have a
Studio or Enterprise, right?) it will connect to the
Revolution server and download the engines it needs if
it can't find them in the engines folder.

Hope this clarified things a bit,

Jan Schenkel.

=====