256 color icons in Windows

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Oct 7 20:22:01 EDT 2003

Trevor,

You're right and there's not much you can do about it. You can't change
a 16-color icon to a 256 color one inside of the executable, and Rev
doesn't support anything other than 16 colors for icons. You can create
a shortcut to the app that has 256 color icons, but that only changes
what the user may see *on disk*; it doesn't have anything to do with the
alt-tab display. The only thing I can suggest is perhaps to go with a
very simple icon that uses the 16 colors to their best and not to dither
down a 256 color image (if you have the luxury of creating a new icon).
I know you've already voted for this on Bugzilla; anyone else want to
add their votes? (Bug #730).

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com