problem with callbacks

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 10:59:01 EDT 2003

--- Toma Tasovac <ttasovac at princeton.edu> wrote:
> i'm sorry i will have to repost my question -- i
> think i got spoiled by
> this list where things usually get resolved
> immediately. in this
> particular case, i have a deadline tomorrow, which
> is why i am so
> impatient to get this cleared out.
>
> i have a text field in which the highlighting of the
> sentences is
> synchronized with the callbacks being sent by the
> QuickTime audio file.
>   The problem is that when the player is stopped and
> restarted or moved
> to another point -- all the previous callbacks are
> sent again and the
> engine quickly goes through all the highlights
> before continuing with
> the sentence at which it left off.
>
> How can this be avoided?  Callbacks are messages
> sent by the player at
> certain points in the timeline -- why should
> restarting a player in the
> middle of the movie trigger the callbacks which come
> before that point?
>
> If this turns out to be a bug, if you have an idea
> on a possible
> scripting workaround for the time being, I'll be
> eternally grateful to
> you.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Toma

Hi Toma,

Off the top of my head, I'd try and save in script
locals whether or not I had received and reacted to a
certain callback -- are they all different callback
handlers or does QT pass a different parameter to the
same callback handler ?
Then, if the movie starts (not resumes) you could
clear these variables. Not sure how to do the above,
but it seems the best solution at this point.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====