JDBC instead of ODBC

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Sat Oct 4 22:11:00 EDT 2003

On Saturday, October 4, 2003, at 06:02  PM, Todd Geist wrote:

> There is a FileMaker Pro plug-in which can connect to any database
> that has
> JDBC access.  I have used this plug-in to retrieve data from and edit
> data
> on Firebird, MySQL, and Postgres servers.  There was very little
> difference
> in the code, and it was very fast. (Why am I using FileMaker?  That's
> another story).
>
> FileMaker's plug-in API is C/C++, not Java.  So the developers of the
> plug-in had to write some kind of C/C++ wrapper around the java code.
> I was
> imagining that some clever Rev Nut could do the same thing for
> Revolution.
>
> Maybe as others have pointed out there is no need.

Todd, that's a new one one me!

I'm all for any method to get the bountiful world of JDBC drivers can
be opened up to us. Certainly better than dealing with ODBC, on Win32
platforms.

You reminded me that some Objective-C/Cocoa programmers are using
Apple's "Java Bridge" for the purpose of using JDBC from their C apps.
But the "Java Bridge" is some mysterious runtime voodoo that Apple
whipped up for OS X.

I've heard of JNI (java native interfaces) but that's for calling C
code from Java, I think.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com