Do Proxies Interfere With Sockets? [RevNet?]

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Oct 3 18:57:00 EDT 2003

On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 05:27  PM, David Kwinter wrote:

> Geez, I really hope there's a way to make sockets work. I'd hate to
> redo
> everything using HTTP and a webserver to sidestep the proxies &
> firewalls.
> Sheesh

Why should you rewrite? Require the user to open up their firewalls on
the required port. If they can't or don't know how, they are probably
at their workplace. Most firewalls don't restrict outgoing connections,
no matter what the port number. If outgoing connections are restricted,
it's usually because of a security policy.

But, I think one reason XML-RPC and SOAP are so popular right now is
because HTTP is the least likely service to run into firewall issues.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com