I need Distribution Builder advice

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Wed Oct 1 13:26:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 04:27  AM, Graham Samuel wrote:

Like Malte, I also construct my App bundles by hand on OS X. Because of
the new bundle/package format on OS X you are no longer dependent on
the compiler or resedit to create the application file.

In addition to the other suggestions, here are some tips I thought of:

1) I wrote a shell script to copy files, including my Rev standalone
executable, and my already existing app bundle. Then I double-click on
the bundle's Info.plist to edit the other bundle properties with the
PropertyListEditor.app

# example shell script command to copy the executable file
cp
FacilityCa_MacOSX_Standalone/FacilityCalculator.app/Contents/MacOS/
Revolution \
    NPSFacCalc/FacilityCalculator.app/Contents/MacOS/FacilityCalculator

2) Apple's Project Builder, although it is a compiler, also has really
flexible methods of creating application bundles, and has GUI forms for
a lot of the bundle properties. You can also add shell scripts to
customize the build process. One could use Project Builder to do
automate builds of app bundles, even if it's just collecting files from
various places and not really compiling any C/C++ code.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com