Using Rev as a multiplatform GUI to control perl and shell scripts -- or is Tcl/tk better?

Ben Collyer Ben at THEHUB.CO.UK
Wed Oct 1 10:22:00 EDT 2003

I want to make a multiplatform GUI for dozens of perl and shell scripts
that process and analyse logs.

I had hoped to try to use Revolution, because I know some transcript,
but wondered how you simply execute a perl script using Rev, (without
passing any arguments etc. -- although this might eventually be useful).

I am running the scripts on MacOSX, from the bash shell.

a typical command line to execute a script might be

bash-2.05a$ perl desktop/logs/scripts/extract.pl

its a script that churns away for potentially hours, stripping and
reformatting logfile lines, counting, etc

what transcript script do I need to launch the same script from a
button in Rev?
And would the same transcript work on other platforms?

A friend said I should learn Tcl/Tk instead...... but is he right?

  opinions gratefully received

Ben