Beginning Valentina Question

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 29 11:19:17 EST 2003

On Saturday, November 29, 2003, at 12:12  AM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> Anyway, I'm giving up trying to get the demos to work and seeing if I
> can figure out how to get *any* SQL command to execute in Valentina.
> This feels like skating on very thin ice. When the tools don't work as
> advertised, everything in programming becomes a crap shoot.

Dan,

Doing it in SQL is the better way anyway. What I needed to learn first
in Valentina was the need to destroy cursers before creating a new one.
Everything is done with an open curser in Valentina SQL. Now this is
going back to early in 1999 when I spent a few days learning Valentina
& SQL. I was searching for a fast parser when I discovered the
TextCruncher Xtra for Director. I had spent a lot of time on their list
talking with the inventor of Valentina about getting a fast parser
added. Once I had found what I was looking for I created an example
that worked in tandem with the Director example that comes with
Valentina. This was the first PNLP example tested and created and it
was used to parse XML in order to pull-parse the XML and selectively
populate the Valentina database using an SQL curser. Once I had what I
was looking for I didn't do much more with the database. There is still
a link to the source code that can be read with a text editor or
Director at their website.

http://www.paradigmasoft.com/files/v4md.html

Follow the PNLP link to the bottom where I still keep a link to the
original example. MTML 3.0 will be out in the next few months. Because
of Revolution it will be in the easiest to use format/GUI and the most
powerful, feature rich, version yet. So much for Vapor-ware
announcements ...

Mark