Database - Update from Data Entry/Query form

Melvin Cox melcox at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 27 17:19:16 EST 2003

My update statement is now fully functional.

My sincere thanks for the assistance provided.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Melvin Cox

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 04:13:57 EST 2003

--- Brian Maher <plsntbreez at mac.com> wrote:
>Hi Melvin,
>
>You may want to send the entire trace log to the
>RunRev folks for analysis along with your sample stack.
>
>There is definitely a problem.
>
>Brian

Well, I looked over his test stack ; is that close
enough ? :-)

I guess the confusion is mainly my fault, as I was the
one to point out revExecuteSQL as a way of executing
queries. (*)
- The revExecuteSQL command is explained in the
Transcript Dictionary ; its first parameter is a
databaseID (aka connectionID).
- The revExecuteWithQuery command on the other hand,
is not documented ; its first parameter is the name of
a query whose connection you need.

So in Melvin's stack, the script should have called
either
--
  put revConnectionOfQuery("PeopleUpdate") \
      into tConnectionID

Now, apart from this confusion, there are a few things
I'd like to mention.

- The undocumented database calls can be found by
reviewing the frontscript named "revDatabase".
-> Open the message box
-> Click on the 6th button in its toolbar
-> This brings you to the list of Front Scripts
-> Doubleclick the line "revDatabase"
MAKE SURE YOU DON'T SAVE ANY ACCIDENTAL CHANGES !

- Make sure the query you're referring to, actually
exists ; in Melvin's test stack, there was no query
"PeopleUpdate" defined using the Database Query
Builder.

- When you're using these undocumented database calls,
always put quotes around the name of queries, so
instead of :
    revRefreshQuery PeopleUpdate
you should script :
    revRefreshQuery "PeopleUpdate"

- Oh, and always make sure to check 'the result' after
calling a command. In this case, it would have happily
informed you :
    revdberr, invalid connection id
and maybe then my brains would have kicked in :)

So in short, my apologies for leading you astray ; I
hope that the above helps you out and may prevent
future errors.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

(*) That's why you pay Rev for support incidents ; on
this free list, sometimes you may get the wrong answer
; mistakes happen ; for penitention, I'll go and make
that new version of my report test stack now...

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."
(La Rochefoucauld)