New Here...

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Thu Nov 27 08:36:52 EST 2003

On 27/11/2003 14:19:59 use-revolution-bounces wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I'm looking for information to help me consider Revolution as an option
>for developing more sophisticated databases. I've just downloaded and
>unlocked the 30-day example version.
>
>I'm very familiar with FileMaker Pro. I'm somewhat familiar with Access.
>
>Is there anything someone can point me to that provides a compare and
>contrast analysis of Revolution to FMP?

In FMP, all the db work is done for you, in RR you have to do the db
functions
you need - you can always reuse these for later. In case you want to use
an
sql engine, your work is just to make the wrappers for the sql commands
(although
I think this is not necessary). The layouts are far more supperior in RR
as
they can be more interactive and offer more intelligence (pre-typing,
etc...) but
you have to script those FMP functionalities by yourself!

>Additionally, I've a few questions:
>
>[1] Are there plans to enhance Revolution's AppleEvent awareness? One
>of the features I've benefited from with FMP is its robust
>AppleScripting capability. It has been a life-saver via
>inter-application activities. Automation of graphics generation helped
>us reduce our head-count by 60% and product errors by 98% in the first
>year of implementation. Currently I see few calls available in
>Revolution's AppleScript Dictionary.

If im correct, you can ask RR via AS to call any RR script so this
shouldn't be
any problem - and as a bonus, you dont have to mess with AS's sometimes
temperamental and prose-heavy scripts to dialog with RR.

>[2] If I do development work with the 30-day trial version, can my work
>accomplished in that be opened with the live version? I trust so. But
>just want to be certain.

It was the case before with MC (which is how I got my license approved)...

Dont know though... If you make a sample stack and save it, and can
reopen it later (with the demo) you should be safe...

Go for it Chuck!
Xavier

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER