Import Full Formated Text (late reply)

Thomas J McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 27 07:54:36 EST 2003

Jac,

YES, this would be my understanding of a 'correct' way for it to work -
however - it does not work that way!
At least not with any consistency when a standalone is built or when a
field is then acted upon via style scripts.
I built a small stack with two fields in it. one field was modified via
the contents pane - select chars modify that text via text menu. the
other field was modified via live text field - select chars modify via
text menu. --- now copy the text style of each of those fields into a
new field - one for each. you will see like I do that the text of each
is now completely different. In fact if it worked the way you described
I would not have any problems with it. (aside from lacking tabs and
individual line centering features)

As far as the Text Formatting pane goes - if it is used instead of the
text menu - the changes made do not stick when building a cross
platform standalone -  so... it can't be treating the text the same
way.

Thanks

Tom
PS I can send you my rough text stack to SEE these problems in real
life.....

On Nov 27, 2003, at 12:13 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> There may be some confusion about the differences in these approaches.
> Both the text menu and the contents pane apply styling on a
> per-character basis, provided you have used the text tool to select
> text in the field. Only selected text will acquire the style you
> choose.
>
> If you have selected the entire field object using the arrow tool, the
> text menu will apply a default style to the entire field. This will be
> the style for any text that does not have per-character styling.
> (Character styling overrides field styling on a per-character basis.)
> The Text Formatting pane in the property inspector is just another way
> to do the same thing, and also applies a default style to the entire
> field.

Macintosh PowerBook G-4 OSX 10.3.1, OS 9.2.2, 1.25 GHz, 512MB RAM, Rev
2.1.2

Advanced Media Group
Thomas J McGrath III 	 ð 2003 ð	3mcgrath at adelphia.net
220 Drake Road, Bethel Park, PA 15102