serialControlString

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Nov 25 00:45:32 EST 2003

On Monday, November 24, 2003, at 06:22 PM, Sarah wrote:

>>> I have found that on OS X the write needs to end in a LF with the
>>> serial drivers I use.  I think this is a Revolution bug.
>>
>> Hmmm, I'm not sure that it's a bug in Revolution. Using the Keyspan
>> drivers and my device, I get strange behavior if I add an LF after
>> the data I send. Things are fine if I send individual characters.
>>
>> I think it was Sarah who said that you needed to use an LF with the
>> Keyspan drivers in another case, so it might be a device specific
>> thing.
>
> Not guilty in this case :-)
> I think Jason is right - it is device specific. I have tested a couple
> of different devices and one needs ASCII 13 while one needs CRLF. I
> haven't actually found one that needs LF on it's own. Dar reported
> problems using anything other than LF but that has not been my
> experience, at least not since Rev 2.1 when OS X serial actually
> started to work.

On my mac, on OS X on recent versions through 10.2.8 and Revolution
with serial on OS X through 2.1.1, a LF is required for any data to go
out on any device I have tested.  It might be device specific, but it
includes two USB adaptors and the internal modem, if so.  I suspect
that Revolution is not setting termios parameters completely.  Maybe
you two have used other software to access the devices and that
software initialized some parameters that are remembered.  I have
considered using shell to try to fiddle with parameters before the open.

I think serial I/O bug reports are at a low priority.

Dar Scott