Sending applescripts from 10.3

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Nov 20 03:12:16 EST 2003

On Nov 19, 2003, at 6:14 PM, tkuypers at pandora.be wrote:

> Confirmed, the finder-script works, but so soes an "Activate" command
> sent
> to InDesign.
> But trying to open a document in InDesign fails with an execution
> error...
>
> Application names are correct, paths are fine, it just doesn't work
> when
> sending it from Revolution :-(

Here is an applescript I wrote to batch convert InDesign files to PDF.
I have confirmed it works OK on OS X 10.3 with InDesign 2.0.1. All I
can recommend is to inspect the transcript result function after you
run the applescript and investigate path name problems.

on mouseup
   do fld 1 as Applescript
end mouseup

-- fld 1 content follows:

--
-- get source folder
--
set this_folder to (choose folder with prompt "Please pick the folder
containing the InDesign files to convert to PDF. The InDesign [Screen]
style of PDF will be used.") as string
tell application "System Events"
	set these_files to every file of folder this_folder
end tell
--
-- get destination folder
--
set dest_folder to (choose folder with prompt "Please pick the
destination folder for the PDFs...") as string
--
-- doit
--
try
	tell application "InDesign 2.0.1"
		activate
	end tell
	repeat with i from 1 to the count of these_files
		set this_file to (item i of these_files as alias)
		set this_info to info for this_file
		if visible of this_info is true and alias of this_info is false then
			-- insert actions here for: this_file
			tell application "InDesign 2.0.1"
				open this_file
				set new_file_name to dest_folder & (the name of this_info) & ".pdf"
				tell document 1 to export format PDF type to new_file_name using
PDF export style "[Screen]" without showing options
				close document 1
			end tell -- InDesign
		end if
	end repeat
on error the error_message number the error_number
	display dialog "Error: " & the error_number & ". " & the error_message
buttons {"OK"} default button 1
end try

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>