Linux Engine: Problems on Red Hat server with CGI

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Nov 20 02:25:33 EST 2003

On Nov 19, 2003, at 8:13 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

> Take a look at my foray into Linux CGIs for the two files that *I* had
> to install:
>
> http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/revolution.htm?_cgi001
>
> The files were:
>
> libXext.so.6 and libX11.so.6.

It would not be unreasonable to expect that the CGI/CLI Rev engine
should be statically linked and so not require any shared libraries to
be present.

The majority of ISPs probably do not have X installed on their Unix
servers.

That the engine requires libX11.so just makes it a hassle for us to
track down a shared library and get it installed. We should not have to
mess with ldd and ldconfig commands on Linux. Who knows what the
commands are on FreeBSD or Solaris, for example. Or where to get the
.so files from.

OTOH if statically linking with libX11 would inflate the CGI/CLI engine
to like 20 MB then I agree it should continue to be done the current
way. Or provide two versions: a statically linked version and a shared
library version.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>