Import Full Formated Text

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Nov 19 12:35:18 EST 2003

On 11/19/03 9:55 AM, Thomas J McGrath III wrote:

> So, when you are creating an interactive project or whatever you are
> saying that most people have been content to just start from scratch
> with the text formatting?

Depends on what you are trying to do. As others have said, you can't
create a fully-functional word processor with layout capabilities. If
your text is static, you could use images. Make screen shots of the text
inside another program.

Rev supports character-level style tags such as bold and italic. It does
not support positional tags like tables and blockquotes. True table
objects are perhaps one of the most-requested features and I think they
are on the future feature list.

> I mean what do you have but Graphics, Movies, Sound and TEXT for
> importing into REV.
> Graphic, Movies and Sound have importing capabilities.
> Why not text? And why has that not been a high priority for most people?

You can import the text and retain its character formatting by importing
html or rtf files. That's about it though.

It doesn't seem to have been much of a problem for anyone else; there
have been relatively few complaints about it on the list. For myself, I
can only think of one project where the lack of word-processing
capabilities stopped me cold. All other projects had work-arounds. Text
layout capabilities would be nice, but their lack hasn't caused much of
a problem for me.

>     I just feel like I missing something if no one else sees this as a
> little bit important to an applications fundamental abilities, that's
> all. I don't think it should matter how big or small a company is but
> rather what they do and how they do it that matters.

Agreed, but it is very difficult and time-consuming to build a
fully-functional word processor that implements positional layout
features. For a company with limited resources, this may not be a good
use of funding, particularly since there has been so little demand for it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com