ftp delete non-empty folder

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Mon Nov 17 19:57:40 EST 2003

I have a utility that creates a folder with several sub-folders on an
FTP server and transfers files to the correct folders. This all works
fine but I also want to be able to delete the complete folder when I've
finished testing. So far, the only solution has been to loop through
each file & sub-folder as I can't work out how to delete a non-empty
folder.

I have tried "delete URL ftp://..." and I have tried sending direct FTP
commands: DELE & RMD but all three options return an error saying the
directory is not empty.

Is there a way of doing this in a single step?
Is it a server-specific setting (in which case I can't assume that it
will work everywhere)?

TIA,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au