What's Really Important/feedback please

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at tricom.net
Sat Nov 15 01:51:44 EST 2003

>on Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:30:10 -0800 (PST)
>Judy Perry wrote:
>
> >I'm finishing up a program in instructional design and technology and
> >would like for my final project to be a new Rev interface ala Hypercard's
> >that will make the program more accessible to new/novice programmers
> >(think: elementary school teachers and/or children).

Is this project a really functional program, downloable later? or only a
Demonstration of an ideal program?

>My questions to you, especially any of you who are not "real" (that is,
>formally educated in the discipline) programmers:
>
>1.  What do you think should be presented in terms of programming
>concepts?
>
>--Certainly, it is tempting to say, "Oh, everything is important!" but
>this can result in a steep learning curve that may put many off learning
>the product.  So, for example, which control structures?  Which commands?
>etc.  AND WHY?

Actually, in my experience, the users prefers to get the most results with
the less effort. If you were able to put a program that uses a wizard
interface,
like those that uses the CD recording programs (that go asking for every
choice to "select" the recording options) then your user will thanks you
greatly.

Only for those that want to tinker, you could show the scripts language and
the finer control that learning programming offers.

>2.  What sorts of 'ready-made' tools (such as the ready-made buttons and
>fields in HC; the contacts list/date book, etc.) do you think would be
>beneficial in making the program intrinsically useful even at the end-user
>level as well as at the level of transitioning from end-user to stack
>creator?

I'll suggest ready made activities or interactions in the form of
individual stacks.

For example...

Teachers will like templates for lessons and evaluations like:
multiple choices quiz, true/false questionaries, drag and drop interactions,
click on the spot, etc,etc.

Students would like to create presentations from their investigations or
homeworks.
They would like to use Fields effects, coordinated sound and visual effects
transitions
and the possibility to show any movie, sound or image that they find in the
internet...

>3.  Any other ideas/suggestions?  (recalling from your own, early days of
>the cave how you learned an x-Talk?)

create a free community, where teachers could share their experiencies with
your program. This is what I'm trying to do. :)

>Thanks!
>
>Judy

You are welcome!

al

still sad for sending the full digest to the list :(((((