Database Query Builder: workaround please

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Nov 14 17:36:27 EST 2003

On Nov 13, 2003, at 5:03 PM, David Wilkinson wrote:
> OK  The handlers appear to be identical, though I have not stepped
> through as yet.  However it is clear that on Linux and 2.0.1, the
> behaviour is not so extreme as you have reported, no matter what
> sort of garbage I enter in the query field.

It's possible the keyboard focus behaves differently between Linux and
OS X, making a difference in severity of this bug.

> Does the query builder work for you, if you enter syntactically
> correct sql?

Yes.

>   If so,  why not  debug the query outside the query
> builder for the timebeing?

Right, why use the Query Builder at all ? :-)

>     Moreover, queries that attach to field
> objects, generally, are not very sophisticated : maybe an inner join
> between client_id  from invoice and client tables for example, in
> order to show the client name, or select detail rows corresponding
> to an invoice.  The Query Builder  is clearly designed to return a
> record view of each row.  In the end, I am not sure that the by
> field/column interrogation of the db is going to be fast enough
> though showall fields seem pretty quick.

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying- give up on the Query Builder
because it's only for simple queries?

I've not used SQL databases from Revolution very much. Although I have
a lot of experience using SQL from PHP and Perl.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>