What's Really Important/feedback please

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Fri Nov 14 16:30:10 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm finishing up a program in instructional design and technology and
would like for my final project to be a new Rev interface ala Hypercard's
that will make the program more accessible to new/novice programmers
(think: elementary school teachers and/or children).

My questions to you, especially any of you who are not "real" (that is,
formally educated in the discipline) programmers:

1.  What do you think should be presented in terms of programming
concepts?

--Certainly, it is tempting to say, "Oh, everything is important!" but
this can result in a steep learning curve that may put many off learning
the product.  So, for example, which control structures?  Which commands?
etc.  AND WHY?

2.  What sorts of 'ready-made' tools (such as the ready-made buttons and
fields in HC; the contacts list/date book, etc.) do you think would be
beneficial in making the program intrinsically useful even at the end-user
level as well as at the level of transitioning from end-user to stack
creator?

3.  Any other ideas/suggestions?  (recalling from your own, early days of
the cave how you learned an x-Talk?)

Thanks!

Judy