Two questions

Thomas J McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 10 15:32:40 CST 2003


Richard,
You hit the nail on the head. I didn't think they would change often 
but "If they changed" I would like to know about it, especially if my 
window would resize in a way I didn't want it to. And then all that 
after I put in every DON'T RESIZE I could think of. So if they did it 
just once it would screw up my window.

Jason's answer would work to reset it during start up but what about 
during usage "if it ever happened". I don't like the idea of a script 
running every millisecond or every second just to prevent a visual 
disaster if the user changes the screen res or size.

You hit it when you say it could be a feature request.

But, I still think it is a BUG because if I say no resize and REV is 
supposed to ignore it when the user resizes then WHY is it resizing 
when I change the res/size of the screen?????

SO my answer is that a resolutionChanged is what is needed and I can 
think of many games and software that offer resolution changing as an 
option and things get changed once the res is changed.

Thank you so very much for your input.

TOm


On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 04:17 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Thomas J McGrath III wrote:
>
>> You see getting the screenRect is one thing but knowing when the
>> screenRect is changed is what I want. I would prefer not to run a loop
>> all of the time checking and waiting for the user to change it.
>
> How often will your users change their resolution?
>
> FWIW, spot-checking the behavior elsewhere I find that Outlook Express,
> Mozilla, and even the 10.2.8 Finder do not account for resolution 
> reduction
> dynamically, and I suspect many other apps don't either.  At least 
> you're in
> good company. ;)
>
> If there's a reason to believe customers of your app will be unusually 
> prone
> to adjusting their resolution during their session with your app (that 
> rules
> out most Win users since most of the ones I've supported have never 
> seen
> their Display control panel <g>), polling on one-second intervals 
> should
> cover what you need without a noticeable decrease in performance.
>
> In fact, it turns out to be barely measureable: to respond to a 
> message and
> check the screenRect takes about 0.037ms on my old 500MHz G4 (testing 
> script
> copied below).
>
> While you're at it, it might be useful to Bugzilla an enhancement 
> request
> for a new resolutionChanged message.
>
> -- 
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation
>  ___________________________________________________________
>  Ambassador at FourthWorld.com       http://www.FourthWorld.com
>  Tel: 323-225-3717                       AIM: FourthWorldInc
>
>
> on mouseUp
>    global gSaveScreenRect
>    put the screenRect into gSaveScreenRect
>    put 1000 into n
>    put the millisecs into t
>    --
>    repeat n
>       send "checkResolution" to me
>    end repeat
>    --
>    put (the millisecs - t ) / n
> end mouseUp
>
> on checkResolution
>    global gSaveScreenRect
>    if the screenrect<> gSaveScreenRect then
>       answer "it changed"
>    end if
> end checkResolution
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>
>

Thomas J McGrath III
Advanced Media Group

220 Drake Rd.
Bethel Park, PA 15102
3mcgrath at adelphia.net




More information about the use-livecode mailing list