os x & cgi's -- save me from dollar signs

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 12:22:11 EST 2003

--- "David M. Cole" <RunRev at colegroup.com> wrote:
> folks:
>
> i was on this list for a while last summer and then
> dropped off
> because of other priorities. time is ripe to get
> started on this
> group of projects:
>
> i built my entire customer contact, subscription and
> billing systems
> all in hc in 1989 (well, i built most in 89; i've
> been tinkering a
> bit here and there over the years ;-) ... there are
> currently more
> than 10,000 records in a variety of stacks. i've
> written stacks that
> ran as cgi's on webstar as well, so i know how to
> construct and
> deconstruct post arguments.
>
> while i suspect i'll have an os 9 machine kicking
> around somewhere
> for years to come, i really need to move this thing
> into a real
> relational database and set it up as a thin client,
> because the
> current architecture is one-person oriented and i
> have a virtual
> business.
>
> so, i come here today asking advice: should i do
> this project in
> runrev? all the cgi engines at
> http://www.runrev.com/revolution/engines/ seem to be
> two or three
> years old; will these work? is the darwin version
> the one i want for
> os x?
>
> i know that sarah r released a stack for connecting
> to mysql last
> may, but is this a job more for valentina?
>
> i had to fly to the east coast yesterday and read
> through mysql and
> php for dummies and the o'reilly mysql book. i had
> vowed never to use
> a programing language that needed a dollar sign, but
> if runrev ain't
> quite ready to do this for me, then i guess i'm
> going to have to.
>
> thanks.
>
> \dmc

Hi David,

Welcome back to the list :-) Let's see if I can help
you out with some of your questions :

- Revolution stacks or SQL-databases ?
Even though performance gets hit when stacks reach
serious sizes, you don't have to start learning SQL
just yet : have a look at Rob Cozens' SDB at
<http://www.oenolog.net/ftp/serendipity_downloader.htm>

- Valentina or another SQL-database ?
Valentina is a good choice, but MySQL isn't that hard
to use either, in my experience ; however, both of
these have their limitations when it comes to support
for JOIN and SELECT WITHIN statements.
An excellent choice in this regard, is PostgreSQL --
if you need more info, I'm sure you can poke our good
friend Pierre Sahores :-)
Of course it depends a bit on your needs : if you need
multi-user access to the database, Valentina Server is
still in beta version atm ; that's why I use MySQL for
most of my projects.

- Revolution CGI-engines
The ones at the old page, are for version 1.x of
Revolution ; steer your browser or an ftp-client to :
<ftp://ftp.runrev.com/pub/revolution/downloads/engines/2.0/cgi/>
And yes, you'll want the Darwin one for MacOSX.
What's especially interesting about the 2.x versions
of the CGI-engines, is that they have built-in support
for database access. So you can use the same commands
to store and load data from within your own stacks and
CGI-scripts.
The only dollar signs you'll want to poke around, are
the environment variables -- but you can look those up
in the Transcript Dictionary.

Hope this helped. If you have any more questions,
don't hesitate to post more on this list.

Jan Schenkel.

=====