Develop on Windows or Mac?

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Thu Nov 6 07:51:16 EST 2003

On 06/11/2003 13:02:11 use-revolution-bounces wrote:
>> Roger,
>>
>> Be cool with flamebait...
>
>No flamebait of course, only questions...

None taken! ;))

>> Here at work, we have more than one folder with THOUSANDS of files for
our
>> business, DBA, SAN, backups reporting among others...
>> In a 3TB fileserver you need something that can handle oh-so-many
files!

>Yes, but as I wrote :
>"The point I want to make is that putting 10,000 files in a single folder
is
>pointless (unless the content of this folder is read/written by an app
only)."

>Again, I see the need for apps like DBAs to store thousands of files in a
>single directory, as long as data needs to be retrieved ONLY by the app
>(furthermore, I don't see why using sub-directories would slow down
>the retrieve/process/save data in a significant way).

Going deeper doesn't slow you down although it takes longuer to navigate.
Also sometimes the long path of a file may exceed the OS's capacity so
there
are arguments where you need to do this.

>And if the amount of data is that huge, there must be various high-level
scripts
>& front-ends to help manage all those files...

Not always. Depends on programmer's lazyness... I've also seen users
folders
with 4000 files. The reason they dont notice is because when the use the
folder they
only browse it with excell or word and all other files are filtered out by
default.

>That's why I still don't understand why individuals should have to
struggle
>with windows displaying thousands of files...

I dont see why either... But remember that 80% of the problems in tech
support are
situated between the chair and the keyboard !!! (the other 19% are in MS
tech support!)

>May be just another example of "programmer lazyness" ?

it's not just programmers... Programmer unless pressed by time usually try
to do a
good job AFAIK... Exceptions granted!

Why does a company spend a million on something completely useless and
still
can't see the use of spending 10,000 in something truely practical? I live
this everyday!

It must be a matter of ignorance somewhere...