Several Windows Questions...

Jason Rippetoe jason at rippetoe.com
Thu Nov 6 06:07:13 EST 2003

Hi there;

New to Rev and trying to get the hang of things, especially related to
cross-platform issues. I'm developing on Mac OS X 10.2 and then
building my standalones for Mac OS X, Windows and Mac OS PPC. My stacks
are very simple, as I am not skilled at this stuff by any means. Using
it to build a vocabulary drill program.

Here's the first issue:

I have a stack that has a card for each of the vocabulary words used.
When each card is displayed, there is an image that hides the answer to
the vocabulary word displayed. The user guesses the answer and then
clicks a button to reveal the answer and play an audio file of the word
being spoken. The button script in use is:

on mouseUp
     play "VocabData/VocabAudio/L1Vocab36.aif"
    hide image "AnswerBlock" with dissolve
end mouseUp

Simple, no? The trouble is, the dissolve (and others elsewhere in the
stack) works great on the Mac during development and on the Mac
standalones, but I'm having some troubles when testing under Windows.
Using Virtual PC with Windows XP and Windows 98, the dissolve works
normally (though slowly under emulation) yet on the PC laptop I have
here, the dissolves don't appear at all- there's just a delay during
which the dissolve would normally occur then the "AnswerBlock" image is
hidden without a visual effect. This is under Windows ME on an older
Pentium 200MHz. Is this lack of dissolves due to Windows ME? Due to the
slow processor on the laptop? Inquiring minds are looking for an answer.

Next Issue:

When running my standalone under Windows (all three flavors mentioned
above), there is no tab in the Taskbar for my running application. Does
this have anything to do with setting the decorations to empty?

Next issue:

I have several sub-stacks in my standalone. Under Windows, each of the
substacks appears as a separate task under the Task Manager, as if
multiple programs are running. Is this normal behavior? Is there a way
to make substacks not appear separately?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Jason