Develop on Windows or Mac?

Thomas J McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 5 09:23:13 EST 2003

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 09:43 PM, Ray Bennett wrote:

> Hi Paul.  I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on this one.
>
> I've lived on Macs and Unix boxes for years and years.  We've
> developed, over the past year, a product that is cross platform -
> meaning
AND
> I think you should spend most of your _development_ time on the
> platform on which your users will spend most of their _using_ time.

2 cents:
I have always gone by the philosophy that you should develop on the
platform you are most comfortable with unless there are specific and
necessary reasons not to.

Wether you are developing cross-platform or for just windows you still
need to understand your intended output and any issues that will come
from it regardless of which you decide to do the developing on. You
should know before hand from testing and research if and what problems
will affect your project.

Then you can weigh the speed gained from developing in your most
comfortable environment and the time needed in correcting on the
intended platform.

If your project is heavy in the problem areas then go for the Win
platform if not go for the Mac since you are more comfortable with it.

Test early, Test often. Save always.

Thomas J McGrath III
Advanced Media Group

220 Drake Rd.